Allen On Travel

A 30 year veteran of world travel (but knows nil about Orlando-area attractions), Will Allen III writes about his weekly odysseys by air on business and how the airlines rob him--and you--of time, the most precious commodity on earth. Time: It's all we have, and the airlines routinely take it from us. This blog challenges the airlines to keep their basic promises.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States

Born 1948 in Kinston, NC and raised there in beautiful eastern North Carolina, I now live in Raleigh and commute around the country and the world.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Delta Airlines Cares

My mom is gravely ill, suddenly and unexpectedly. Yesterday we signed the authorization to move her into a Hospice Unit within her hospital. My family and I are by her side 24 hours.

Later in the day I cancelled a business trip planned for this morning that had me flying out on Delta and returning on American Airlines. Both segments were on nonrefundable fares.

When I phoned the Delta elite line, the agent listened to the situation and immediately, without checking with a supervisor, told me that I would be able to use the full amount of the fare paid for a future Delta flight without any change fee or penalty.

When I phoned AA's elite line, I was told that I would have to pay a $100 change fee to use the residual fare.

Delta cares, and I won't forget.

I will not be able to post further stories for some time while I am with my mom and not traveling.

2 Comments:

Blogger William A. Allen III said...

To Steve b about driving to Columbus: I tried it, but it's a long, tiring 483 mile drive door-to-door that takes just over 8 hours. I really thought it would beat flying, but after 2 round trips I went back to flying. I decided that that distance, about 450 miles, is right about even aggravation, flying or driving.

8/27/2006 8:58 PM  
Blogger William A. Allen III said...

To fly2much: Yes, AA is real bad, but UA and US are worse. Truth is, the so-called "big six" are ALL poor. But I have so many bad experiences on so many flights that once in a while I try to say something positive about an airline on the increasingly rare occasions when when I actually have a good experience. Thanks for you comment. I have a similar prohibition in my profile about United.

8/27/2006 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home