Allen On Travel

A 30 year veteran of world travel (but knows nil about Orlando-area attractions), Will Allen III writes about his weekly odysseys by air on business and how the airlines rob him--and you--of time, the most precious commodity on earth. Time: It's all we have, and the airlines routinely take it from us. This blog challenges the airlines to keep their basic promises.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States

Born 1948 in Kinston, NC and raised there in beautiful eastern North Carolina, I now live in Raleigh and commute around the country and the world.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

RDU Passport Makes Parking Easier

Raleigh-Durham (RDU), my home airport, has initiated a new program for folks like me who use their close-in parking decks (still a reasonable $10/day). It’s a keycard like one would use to get in and out of a place of business, and they call it the RDU Passport.

Once you apply online for the Passport, giving them two credit cards and all your other particulars, an in-person visit to the RDU Parking office is required to validate the thing. But aside from that relatively tiny nuisance, it’s a joy to have. Here’s how it works to save me time:

On entering the parking deck, I simply wave the card at a card reader, and it knows who I am and notes the day and time. The gate opens (no ticket needed), and I park.

On leaving the parking deck there is a special RDU Passport lane at which I again wave the card, and the time and date of my departure are noted. The gate then opens.

Later I receive an email receipt that shows how much I was charged with details for T&E reporting.

I highly recommend it if you travel in and out of RDU and use the main parking decks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home