Allen On Travel

A 30 year veteran of world travel (but knows nil about Orlando-area attractions), Will Allen III writes about his weekly odysseys by air on business and how the airlines rob him--and you--of time, the most precious commodity on earth. Time: It's all we have, and the airlines routinely take it from us. This blog challenges the airlines to keep their basic promises.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States

Born 1948 in Kinston, NC and raised there in beautiful eastern North Carolina, I now live in Raleigh and commute around the country and the world.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

OpenSkies to AMS Impresses Already, and the Inaugural Flight Isn't Until October 15th

You probably know about British Airways starting a brand new airline called OpenSkies with flights scheduled between JFK and Paris (Orly) and between JFK and Amsterdam (Schiphol). I was flattered and delighted when BA recently invited me to be their guest on the inaugural eastbound flight to AMS on October 15th, and I soon received an email with my booking information.

Frankly I didn't know much about OpenSkies until they contacted me. For instance, I was surprised to learn that they are offering not one but two types of business class seating, and no coach cabin at all.

The best cabin--up front naturally--is called BIZ, and the back of the plane is filled with PREM+ seats.

BIZ seats look suspiciously like most airlines' international first class. Here's how they describe it on their website:

  • 24 seats that convert into 6-foot long, 180° flatbeds
  • 73" of legroom
  • A seat width of 20"
  • One attendant per twelve customers ensures individualised service
  • A universal power plug-in for your computer
    and personal electronics
  • Personal entertainment system with over
    50 hours of audio and video
  • A la carte meals and wine service
    inspired by top chefs
I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty darn good to me, and I am flying New York to Amsterdam in one of those comfy BIZ seats.

The PREM+ cabin doesn't sound bad, either:

  • More legroom for your comfort
  • A seat width of 20.6"
  • 40 seats
  • A universal power plug-in for computer and personal electronics
  • Personal entertainment system with over 50 hours of audio and video
OK, I don't like the ambiguous weasel words, "More legroom for your comfort" (what the blazes does THAT mean?), and I have to wonder why the PREM+ seats are 20.6" wide while the premier BIZ seats are merely 20" wide. I'll be flying back to JFK in the rear cabin, and I guess I'll know more after spending 8 hours experiencing it.

BA is using 757 aircraft, much like eos flew before its demise, as well as some other all-business flights to Europe.

When my electronic booking notification arrived in my email inbox, I promptly went to the OpenSkies website to see about changing the seats I'd been assigned. I wanted a bulkhead window seat going over and a bulkhead aisle returning.

Imagine my consternation when I was unable to change seats. No matter how hard I tried, the seats I highlighted would not work. Finally I discovered that in the OpenSkies system one must first select the passenger whose seats you want to change, even if you are the sole passenger on the booking. After doing so, I was able to get the seats I preferred.

This was a minor nit, but no other airline website I've ever used required this of a single passenger, and, furthermore, the solution is not intuitive. Truth is, I had to be told finally by someone how to do it. I wonder how many OpenSkies passengers so far have given up trying to change their seats because they couldn't figure it out on their own.

Curious about fares, I checked the website for several dates between JFK and AMS and found the 3 fare levels in each class of service to be easy to understand and pretty reasonable. The top anytime, unrestricted round trip fares (before tax) are $6400 (BIZ) and $3700 (PREM+)--not bad for last minute, walk-up fares. The lowest fares round trip (again before taxes are added) are $3532 (BIZ) and $998 (PREM+)--tremendous bargains for business class comfort.

I hope I like the service because my family and I will be using OpenSkies to Amsterdam if the lowest fare levels survive.

Since I will be flying over on the 15th, and returning on the 16th just 4 hours after landing, I will need a lounge and a place to shower and change clothes at Schiphol Airport. But will OpenSkies have showers available at their AMS lounge, I wondered. I scoured the OpenSkies website looking everywhere for a description of their lounge facilities at both JFK and AMS. Alas, to no avail. I couldn't find even a reference to what JFK terminal OpenSkies is using.

Of course I assumed it would be the British Airways terminal at JFK, Terminal 7, but the website is silent on where one should go upon arriving JFK for one's OpenSkies flight.

Naturally I decided to phone them up to answer all my questions, and once again I gave the website a good going-over to find an 800 number. It took some time for me to click down into various options to locate their numbers. Under "Travel Tips & Info" on the Home page, I noticed on the left margin some further options which included "Customer Relations."

(Correction: Since first composing this post, it's been called to my attention by a reader more alert than I was that the telephone numbers I was looking for can also be found under "Contact Us" on the OpenSkies website.)

While this didn't sound to me like an avenue to 800 booking numbers, I hadn't located the information I needed elsewhere, so clicked on it.

And there, finally, were the numbers I needed, which I repeat here so you don't have to go through what I did to find them:

Contact Us

We understand there may be a need to contact us occasionally. Please review the following department points of contact:

Reservations and Booking Assistance - OpenSkies Concierge

France
Tel 0800 91 21 28
Open 24/7

Netherlands
Tel 0800 0 22 77 93
Open 24/7

USA
Tel 1 866 581-3596
Open 24/7

Online 24 hours a day http://www.flyopenskies.com/

Executive Club Membership

France
Call +33 (0) 826 826 747
Monday-Friday 9am -6pm

Netherlands
Call +31(0)203469391
Monday-Friday 9am -6pm

USA
Call 1 800 452 1201
Monday-Friday 9am -6pm

Groups

To book a group travelling together of 10 or more passengers please contact us for a group travel quote by calling the OpenSkies Concierge desk at the numbers above and ask for the groups department.

Refunds

Eligible fares may be canceled and refunded through the self managed area at Manage my Booking. Not all fares are eligible for a refund. If you believe you may be entitled to a refund please call our OpenSkies Concierge desk or write to us at the address below.

France
Tel 0800 91 21 28
Open 24/7

Netherlands
Tel 0800 0 22 77 93
Open 24/7

USA
Call 1 800 452 1201
Open 24/7

refunds@flyopenskies.com

Administrative Offices

Europe
Indigo House
Mulberry Business Park
Fishponds Road
WokinghamBerkshire RG41 2GY
UK

Please indicate in writing to us the name of the person or department.

talktous@flyopenskies.com

Lost Luggage

France
Tel 0800 91 21 28
Open 24/7

Netherlands
Tel 0800 0 22 77 93
Open 24/7

USA
Tel 1 866 581-3596
Open 24/7

Email
luggage@flyopenskies.com

Customer Relations - OpenSkies Concierge

France
Tel 0800 91 21 28
Open 24/7

Netherlands
Tel 0800 0 22 77 93
Open 24/7

USA
Tel 1 866 581-3596
Open 24/7

Email
concierge@flyopenskies.com

Ask a question?

Can't find the answer to your question? Please send us an email to
info@flyopenskies.com and we will reply to you as quickly as possible.

Ah ha! Finally, the number I needed! I phoned the 866 number shown above and asked about the JFK and AMS lounges, and which JFK terminal OpenSkies uses.

The first gentlemen I spoke with sounded far away and with a distinctly foreign accent (I assumed India, but forgot to ask). He was extremely kind and polite, and certainly knew about JFK Terminal 7 as the departure point. However, he knew very little about OpenSkies lounges in either JFK and AMS other than the fact that they existed. After being on hold for some time while he inquired and researched about shower facilities at the Amsterdam lounge, he came back with no firm answer.

So telephoned again the next day and at a different hour, and this time I spoke with two ladies who sounded very British. They could not answer my question about accessibility to shower facilities in the Schiphol OpenSkies lounge, and asked to call back.

One hour later my cell phone buzzed, and I received my answer: no showers in the OpenSkies Amsterdam lounge. However, they hastened to add, public showers are available free of charge at Schiphol, so long as one brings one's own towel and soap.

And, I was told, the airport hotel provides a room with showers for a mere 15 Euros. The downside to using the hotel, though, is that it is outside security. My return flight, departing just four hours after my arrival, means that I don't have to clear Customs & Immigration at AMS, nor do I want to subject myself to re-entering security once outside. Thus I plan to pack my own towel and soap and use the free public showers inside security.

That's what I have learned about OpenSkies during the preflight period: so far, mostly good. Their website is spiffy, up-to-date, and user-friendly, with the few small nits I discussed. The real people at OpenSkies whom I spoke with to obtain planning information for my trip were very nice and tried hard to answer my questions. Overall, I am impressed, and looking forward to my flights next week.

I don't think of myself as a curmudgeon, but I admit that I am a difficult customer for any airline to impress and please in premium cabins. I've flown in so many, so often. Naturally I will be writing about every aspect of my experience flying OpenSkies next week, so look for it here by late Thursday night, October 16th.

Frankly, I can hardly wait. It sure appears that OpenSkies did their homework and is likely to get most things right. I hope my optimism proves to be fact.

5 Comments:

Blogger SteelerBoy said...

Will
In looking at the OpenSkies website, I see that they have a "contact us" tab on the bottom of the home page . One click on this tab and the numbers you worked so hard to find come right up.

10/07/2008 7:10 PM  
Blogger William A. Allen III said...

steelerboy,

Thank you for the correction. I have amended my post accordingly.

10/07/2008 11:42 PM  
Blogger Charlene Ann Baumbich said...

In addition, on your email flight confirmation (I will also be on your flight, and I printed mine out), the "OpenSkies Concierge Team" lists their toll free France and USA numbers, right after they express their pleasure in your booking, extend their "warm welcome" and let you know they want to insure your "exceptional flight." Nice! I'm with you in that I'm expecting something wonderful. I'll also be reporting on the reality of my expectations, but not until the next week, after I return. (Good luck with the shower, and thanks for that detailed info.)

10/10/2008 12:15 PM  
Blogger emceemk said...

Showers in the Paris lounge, perhaps? This would make my Paris layover much more tolerable.

10/11/2008 12:23 PM  
Blogger emceemk said...

Are there showers in the Paris lounge, perhaps? This would make my Paris layover much more palatable.

10/11/2008 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home