Allen On Travel

A 30 year veteran of world travel (but knows nil about Orlando-area attractions), Will Allen III writes about his weekly odysseys by air on business and how the airlines rob him--and you--of time, the most precious commodity on earth. Time: It's all we have, and the airlines routinely take it from us. This blog challenges the airlines to keep their basic promises.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States

Born 1948 in Kinston, NC and raised there in beautiful eastern North Carolina, I now live in Raleigh and commute around the country and the world.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

To Europe & Back: Flying Business Class Doesn't Guarantee A Stressless Journey

Flying to Frankfurt with my family over Thanksgiving week was supposed to be fun and easy. After all, I had spent a ton of money and miles on getting all four of us into business class on American Airlines and British Airways. By investing in a premium cabin I hoped for a fairly painless experience over and back. Though some pain was involved after all, we did make every scheduled segment, and these days I count that as a blessing.

So what went wrong? As usual, some controllable and some uncontrollable circumstances.

Partly it was the planning, especially for the return flights.

Going over was straightforward: Raleigh to Chicago; then O'Hare to Frankfurt.

Munich was our REAL destination, but AA doesn't fly to MUC, so we bought Deutsche Bahn (German Rail) First Class rail passes, about which sublime rail experiences I will happily share in a future blog entry.

However, the routing was a bit tortuous on the return: Frankfurt to London Heathrow on BA, connecting to AA to O'Hare and then home to RDU from Chicago.

Too, British Airways' early morning departure from Frankfurt meant we'd have to travel from Munich to Frankfurt a day early and stay overnight at an airport hotel. That added complexity and cost, but my wife and I are good at turning lemons into lemonade; we made the most of our forced march one day early to Frankfurt, which I will share in the future blog entry on rail travel within Germany that I mentioned above.

We had to accept the unusual routing (BA to LHR, then AA to ORD) because even my Executive Platinum status + EP upgrades + a good deal of money were not enough to get four business class seats returning. I prudently made reservations many months in advance, yet this was the best schedule AA could manage.

American promised that the LHR code-share connection from BA (arriving at Terminal 1) to AA (departing from Terminal 3) was routine and legal. I had my doubts despite their assurances, but accepted the itinerary. So I have no one but myself to hold accountable for the modicum of stress and uncertainty that ensued.

But I am getting ahead of myself. First, the flight over the pond:

We had no trouble with the American RDU/ORD flight; it was a three hour, thirty minute connection. Lucky my kids enjoyed running around the Admirals Club for those hours.

When we finally boarded AA 84 ORD/FRA, I was at first encouraged to see that the 767 in service that evening had been fitted with AA's new business class seats. However, the new seat experience was unpleasant, the details of which I described in the previous blog entry, q.v.

AA 84 is a two-class flight with no first class cabin, and, knowing this, I anticipated that our flight attendants would give priority only to those of us in business class. But I was sadly mistaken.
Rarely have I experienced a more surly and inattentive on-board crew in a premium cabin on AA or any airline. I was reminded of the terrible attitude of United Airlines flight attendants back in the 1990s when I was a 1K flyer with UA. The constancy of United flight attendants' rotten customer service finally drove me away from UA altogether, and I have not been back since.

I couldn't help wondering if I was seeing the beginning of a similar trend with the AA 84 FA crew or if we just got a bad bunch. Even my wife, who is no complainer, commented on it to me about halfway to Frankfurt. We could not get the crew to refill even the water for us or our children, let alone fetch another glass of Champagne. Every time we waved or rang the call bell, we were ignored. I had to go up into the galley to beg some help. There were no apologies, just unsmiling, glum looks accompanied by sluggish, half-hearted response.

By the time we landed in FRA, we were glad to put the terribly uncomfortable new business class seats and the surly crew in our rear view mirror. Both the faulty architecture of AA's new business cabin and the living dead on-board crew left a bad impression that will be remembered when I book future business travel overseas.

On the return legs, despite my trepidation, British Airways did a good job until we hit the tarmac at Heathrow.
I was able to get all our boarding passes the afternoon prior to our 7:45 AM departure, which allowed us to sleep in a precious few minutes more.

On the fateful morning we braved the thoroughness of Frankfurt airport security and followed the signs for BA 901 to London Heathrow. And followed the signs, and followed more, and followed, until I thought we had walked halfway to England.

Finally approaching the gate, we ran the gauntlet of a second security point, this one even more invasive than the initial one.

Because we were not sitting together (BA does not allow pre-flight seat assignments for AA code share passengers, so it's pot luck when you check in), I approached the rather severe-looking lady manning the podium and attempted to explain our predicament.

"VAT IS IT YOU VANT?" she barked, obviously having passed her fascist customer service course with honors.

I tried again to explain.

"NO SEAT CHANGES! NEXT!"

I gave up, wondering if BA knew how they were being represented in Frankfurt to their business class customers.

Despite the rude agent, the flight boarded on time and left the stand early. En route the crew was delightful, and the 757 comfortable. Over central London we were slowed down for traffic and circled twice, then went straight in.

Wow! I thought. We might even get to the gate early, and that would help us with our 85 minute connection window. I knew it was not going to be quick getting from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3, despite AA's assurances, and I wanted a head start.

But we didn't get one. After landing 15 minutes early, we sat on taxiways for 40 minutes waiting for a gate to open up. Even BA, it seems, doesn't have the clout at Heathrow to meet its own schedules. I was sweating with worry about our connection by the time the door was finally opened, and we took off at a run for the inter-terminal connection bus, all our luggage in tow (we never check any bags).

After completing the marathon distance of the entire length of a Terminal 1 finger, we approached the escalator up to the connection bus point. Suddenly clanging bells went off all around us. I thought someone had entered a secure area in error.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be a fire alarm throughout Terminal 1, and immediately the police were everywhere, and people were stopped from entering the escalators, including us. Upstairs, everyone was evacuated, and voices could be heard shouting.

It was at that juncture that I gave up all hope of making our connection. The fire alarm, whether signaling a real emergency or not, would surely stop us for an ungodly period of time from reaching the connection bus to Terminal 3, now so tantalizingly close at the top of the stairs. I resigned myself to an alternative plan: finding the nearest AA connection desk once in Terminal 3 and devising a new itinerary to get home to Raleigh.

As suddenly as it had begun, however, the alarms stopped. A total of 15 minutes had passed, though, and we were down to less than 45 minutes to get to our O'Hare flight. We were the first to be allowed up the stairs, and we flew through the now empty terminal corridors to the bus stop.

We lucked out: a bus was just preparing to leave, and in a few minutes we were entering Terminal 3--where we had to endure the third security point of the morning so far.

Thus slowed a bit, we caught our breaths and then followed the endless signs to our gate in Terminal 3, which routed us through the teeming Terminal 3 shopping areas. Maneuvering through the multitudes, we high-tailed it to our gate, and were there met with a fourth security point, this one the most invasive of any so far.

While each piece of luggage was meticulously searched, we watched our flight being boarded just ahead. I muttered something about the idiocy of having to endure four security points, and things slowed down even more. I shut up.

After a very long delay for inspection of every dirty sock, we were deemed safe to travel and joined the swelling ranks of Chicago-bound passengers on AA's 777.

Once on board and putting our bags overhead, we knew right away that we had a good crew. Three different flight attendants crowded us with offers of help, and then plied us with boarding Champagne and orange juice. They were all smiles and laughed with us as we summarized our harrowing odyssey from BA in Terminal 1. No sooner had we tumbled into our seats than the doors were closing, and we were pushing back. We made it, and it was a small miracle that we did.

En route to O'Hare the crew coddled us and made us relax. They anticipated our every need, and those of our kids. It was a great way to be headed home, and I wish I had that AA crew with me on every flight--the antithesis of the crew on AA to Frankfurt a week earlier.

Our flight arrived on time, and we cleared customs and immigration fairly quickly in the international terminal at O'Hare. A short inter-terminal train ride later we re-entered security and went through the fifth security screen of the day, this one compliments of TSA. Our connection to Raleigh was on time and uneventful, the best kind of ride.

Our experience demonstrates that booking business class or first class seats mainly helps to ease the pain inside the aluminum tube. Sometimes, though, not even then, as in the case of the ill-humored crew we endured during the long hours to Frankfurt. A special check-in line and a dedicated premium class lounge both contribute to a better experience, but things get dicey in other respects.

A business or first class boarding pass doesn't speed things up at multiple security points overseas, nor does it provide any shortcuts to long and difficult inter-terminal connections.

Despite the unavoidable stress and rush of the airport experience trying to make a flight, those few hours of relaxation on board in a bigger, more comfortable seat make traveling in business or first well worthwhile.

Just remember to be on your game again when the door opens at the gate.


2 Comments:

Blogger roundman said...

Will, your AA flight LHR-ORD was out of T3, not T2. T1 and T2 join and there is no bus between them.

You are right-on about the NGBC seat/bed. I never go to the "lie flat" position. I get it a close to the former seat 'Lazy Boy' chair position as possible. That still doesn't help with the A/B of H/J situation.

12/14/2007 9:41 AM  
Blogger William A. Allen III said...

Thank you, Roundman. I will make the correction. Don't know why my notes from the trip are so faulty.

12/14/2007 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home